Roadmaster Even Brake Braking System FAQs
What is Even Brake?
It's a self-contained, portable braking system that sits in front of the driver's seat. It attaches to the brake pedal and does all the braking for your towed car proportionately to your motorhome.
What does 'proportional braking' mean?
Proportional braking is even braking - your towed vehicle's brakes respond to your motorhome's brakes, at the same time and at the same intensity.
How does Even Brake work?
When you brake the motorhome, a microprocessor inside Even Brake signals a magnetic valve to release a compensating amount of air pressure against the towed vehicle's brake pedal, slowing the towed vehicle in direct proportion to the motorhome.
Does it brake on bumpy roads or over speed bumps?
No. Even Brake's 'Terrain Sensing' circuitry will not respond to an abrupt, up-and-down motion caused by a speed bump, pot hole or similar jolt or dip. In other words, it knows the difference between a bounce and a brake, and reacts accordingly.
Can I switch it between vehicles?
Yes. Even Brake is completely portable, and after the initial installation, it only takes a minute or two to transfer it to another vehicle. The brake pedal clamp is easy to attach and remove, and Even Brake plugs into the towed vehicle's 12-volt outlet for its power.
Will my battery die?
No. Even Brake's exclusive 'Power Save' mode automatically protects against a dead battery - Even Brake warns you of a low battery in the towed vehicle with LED and LCD alerts at the motorhome monitor, giving you time to recharge the battery. If the battery's current drops too low, Even Brake goes into sleep mode (while retaining emergency braking power). Other systems allow the battery to drain completely, forcing you to break out the jumper cables. But first, you have another problem - nobody makes 80-foot jumper cables. So you have to disengage your towed vehicle and jockey your motorhome around to face it. Good luck!
Does it fit in my vehicle?
Even Brake fits in virtually all vehicles.
How long does it take to install?
Installation, along with a brief overview given by your dealer, typically takes an hour. After the initial installation, it only takes a minute or two to connect or disconnect.
How do I know it's working?
Even Brake's monitor gives you complete, continuous braking information - a glance at the monitor assures you that Even Brake is fully operational.
What if I think it's braking too hard, or not hard enough?
You can change braking force and sensitivity to fit your driving style. And no matter what setting you choose for everyday braking, Even Brake will always respond with full pressure during an emergency stop. This is a critical advantage over 'on-or-off' systems, which only brake at their pre-set level, no matter how hard you brake the motorhome.
I have an anti-lock braking system on my car. Will Even Brake interfere with it?
No. Anti-lock braking only works when the car's power is on. Since the power will be turned off when you tow your vehicle, Even Brake will not interfere with your anti-lock braking system.
Why is Even Brake better?
- Even Brake is the only 'brake in a box' with full-time proportional braking. It's a better way to brake - better for your towed vehicle and motorhome, your safety, and your peace of mind.
- Even Brake comes with a host of exclusive safety and convenience features - continuous self-diagnostic testing, automatic low battery and brake protection, and constant braking information and system status, reported to you via a three-tiered motorhome monitor, are three exclusive features. Terrain-sensing logic and smoother, more responsive braking are two more.
- It's completely portable - you can set it up in a matter of minutes, and with a second vehicle kit, you can transfer it from vehicle to vehicle just as fast.
- It's designed better - its feet are set wide apart, to form a stable, solid platform, and its air cylinder is angled to the floor, for the same reason. A high-performance air compressor takes less time to charge - Even Brake is ready for the next stop nearly twice as fast as the leading competitor.
- It's made by Roadmaster, the acknowledged leader in RV towing products. More people put their trust in Roadmaster towing systems than in any other brand.